Planning a wedding takes a lot of time and effort to make sure the day goes off without a hitch. Staying organized is essential to staying sane during the planning. This wedding checklist covers the basics of everything you need to think about while planning. Scroll down to see it in photo form and then in easy copy/paste text along with links and additional suggestions. Enjoy!
Wedding Planning Checklist by Digby & Rose Luxury Invitations
12 Month Wedding Planning Checklist
So you can copy and past the list for you own use, here it is below in text! We’ve included links and suggestions for Mid-South brides.
10-12 Months Before Wedding
- Introduce both families and officially announce your engagement.
- Find out who pays for what and start a budget. (Check wedding budget books for guidance and know the average Memphis wedding cost)
- Create a guest list.
- Compare calendars and select a tentative date.
- Choose your wedding party.
- Create a wedding website to share your engagement.
- Consider whitening your teeth for your engagement party and photographs.
- Conduct interviews and hire a wedding coordinator if applicable. (Find Memphis wedding planners)
- Decide if you want premarital counseling.
- Start looking at photos of wedding dresses for inspiration. (Browse wedding dress inspiration)
- Send your engagement photo to the local paper.
- Begin thinking about where you want to honeymoon.
- Visit and book your reception site, and arrange for parking. (Find Memphis wedding venues)
- Visit and book your ceremony location, including rehearsal time.
- Create a save-the-date guest list.
6-9 Months Before Wedding
- Alert out-of-town guests of wedding date by sending out save-the-date cards. (Find save the date cards)
- Find a bridal salon and begin trying on wedding dresses and veils. (Find Memphis wedding hair stylists)
- Get in shape for your wedding gown by starting an exercise routine.
- Get ideas for honeymoon locations and research pricing.
- Start looking at floral designs and interview florists for style and cost. (Find Memphis wedding florists)
- Search for menu ideas and start meeting with caterers. (Find Memphis wedding caterers)
- Research wedding photography and interview wedding photographers and videographers. (Find Memphis wedding photographers and Memphis wedding videographers)
- Get ideas for music and interview bands or DJs. (Find Memphis wedding DJs)
- Finalize flower and decor ideas, and select a florist. (Find Memphis wedding florists)
- Sign a caterer. (Find Memphis wedding caterers)
- Order your gown and wedding veil. (Consider a birdcage wedding veil)
- Shop for and select the perfect bridesmaid dress. (Check out affordable ModCloth bridesmaid dresses)
- Book your honeymoon!
- Find out if your ceremony location requires liability insurance.
- Finalize contracts with your wedding photographer and videographer.
- Book your DJ or band. (Find Memphis wedding DJs)
- Browse and purchase wedding dress accessories, shoes, lingerie, purse, and gloves.
- Choose your officiant and discuss ceremony ideas. (Look for ceremony script ideas)
- Start thinking about all of your gift registry options. (Create a wedding registry at Amazon and at macys.com!)
- Select three hotels in varying price ranges and reserve rooms for out-of-town guests.
4-5 Months Before Wedding
- Start thinking about cultural traditions for your wedding.
- View wedding invitation styles and research proper wording. (Browse wedding invitation ideas)
- Look at photos to get ideas for wedding cake designs, and meet with bakers to taste samples.
- Discuss menu ideas with your catering manager.
- Shop for wedding rings. (Shop for best-selling wedding rings online)
- Look for the groom’s tux and decide what groomsmen will wear.
- Confirm your bridesmaids ordered their gowns and decide on accessories.
- Have your mother and future mother-in-law coordinate and select their dresses.
- Compare pricing, place your wedding invitation order, and book your calligrapher.
- Purchase your wedding rings and send for engraving if applicable. (Shop for best-selling wedding rings online)
- Get ideas for wedding favors. (Browse wedding favor ideas)
- Confirm dates for bridal showers and bachelorette parties.
- Make sure you’ve started your registries before bridal shower invitations are sent. (Create a registry at Amazon and at macys.com!)
- Choose your baker and finalize wedding cake.
- Reserve rental equipment such as chairs, tables, linens, tents, etc. (Find Memphis wedding rentals)
- Research and book your rehearsal dinner location.
- Get ideas for wedding hair and makeup.
- Notify any family or friends whom you would like to give readings, sing solos, serve as guest book attendant, etc.
- Interview and hire any additional management staff and babysitters if needed.
- Give your guest list to shower hostesses and check that your registry has enough items.
- Update wedding website.
- Consider getting wedding insurance.
2-3 Months Before Wedding
- Finalize guest list and submit invitations to calligrapher.
- Book makeup artist and hairstylist. (Find Memphis wedding makeup artists and Memphis wedding hair stylists)
- Order your wedding favors.
- Candles, baskets, ring pillow… it’s time to start browsing and purchasing wedding accessories!
- Consider signing up for dance classes.
- Schedule your last tasting and finalize menu.
- Find gifts for each other, your attendants, your shower hostess, and your parents.
- Confirm tuxes have been ordered for groom and groomsmen.
- Prep for your honeymoon.
- Choose your getaway. Finalize wedding transportation.
- Look into joint bank accounts, insurance, and merging your money.
- Select your music for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception, and review with musicians, singers.
- Check that there are enough options left on your registry, and update your wedding website.
- Finalize rehearsal dinner plans and order rehearsal invitations, menus, table numbers, escort cards, and any other stationary accessories.
- Mail invitations eight weeks before your wedding day.
1-2 Months Before Wedding
- Have your first bridal gown fitting. Remember to bring stockings, shoes, the appropriate bra, hair accessories, jewelry, a camera, and your mom or best friend.
- Finalize ceremony readings and songs, review with performers.
- Order liquor and beverages not handled by caterer.
- Meet with your officiant to finalize the ceremony, including attendant formations.
- Begin writing your vows if applicable.
- Begin writing thank-you notes for the bridal shower and early wedding gifts. Also update your registry.
- Research where to get your marriage license.
- Prepare a photo and video shot list, naming important family members and guests.
- Schedule the bridesmaids’ luncheon and buy attendant gifts if you haven’t already.
- Begin whitening your teeth for your wedding day.
- Consider liability insurance for your reception location.
3-4 Weeks Before Wedding
- Finalize your jewelry, which may include something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.
- Prepare a must-have shot list for your wedding photographer and videographer.
- Finalize your “must play” and “don’t play” music lists and review with musicians.
- Practice your first dance wearing your bridal shoes.
- Design and order your wedding program.
- Confirm honeymoon and travel arrangements, and give loved ones your itinerary in case of emergency.
- Call guests who haven’t RSVP’d.
- Pick up your wedding rings.
- Get your marriage license, typically no earlier than 30 days before the wedding.
- Research how to change your name.
- Mail your rehearsal-dinner invitations.
- Purchase small candles, candies, and mints for your guest powder room.
- Meet with your stylist to discuss and test the perfect makeup and hair for your bridal style.
1-2 Weeks Before Wedding
- Have your final wedding gown fitting.
- Finalize your wedding-day schedule and share with attendants, parents, and all vendors.
- Confirm all of your beauty appointments.
- Confirm pick-up times, schedules, and addresses with your wedding-day transportation.
- Pick up your wedding dress and make sure all your accessories are together.
- Pick up the groom’s outfit, make sure it fits, and gather all of his accessories together.
- Finalize your vows for the ceremony.
- Get your hair colored and trimmed.
- Confirm final headcount.
- Give final attendance numbers to vendors and confirm final date and time for deliverables and pick-ups after wedding.
- Pack for your wedding night and honeymoon.
- Create a “wedding box” to gather your ceremony accessories (marriage license, candles, ring pillow, basket, guest book) and assign someone to transport.
- Prepare a “reception box” for accessories such as guest books, cameras, toasting goblets, cake toppers, etc., and assign someone to transport.
- Prepare all of your wedding favors for transportation to reception venue and assign someone to move them.
- Finalize your seating arrangements and submit to caterer.
- Prepare place cards.
- Confirm dates, times, and locations for all photo and video sessions the day of the wedding.
- Confirm dates, times, locations with all vendors.
The Day Before Wedding
- Prepare a list of payment envelopes – including tips – earmarking who is responsible for distributing to vendors.
- Hand out assignment lists and checklists to ensure everyone knows their tasks, including the person responsible for transporting gifts.
- Hand out ceremony box to appropriate person.
- Hand out reception box to appropriate person.
- Hand out favor box to appropriate person.
- Assign someone to mail your announcement cards.
- Gather together your wedding dress, accessories, and bridal emergency kit.
- Get a manicure, pedicure, and massage.
- Rehearse ceremony with officiant and wedding party.
The Wedding Day
- Your day has arrived! You may be nervous, but try to eat breakfast and drink plenty of fluids.
- Take a lavender bath – it’s very relaxing.
- Be sure to wear a button-down shirt for your hair and makeup appointments.
- Enjoy the day!
After The Wedding
- Get your wedding dress cleaned and preserved.
- Preserve your bouquet.
- Write and mail your thank-you notes.
- Complete your name-change kit.
- Check into your store’s bridal registry completion program.
- Meet with photography and videographer to finalize albums and video.
View more wedding planning advice!